Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Digging Up & Replanting My Roots

I've always been a history guy, and have always had a keen interest in local history and family history. My interest was fostered by my father, who put together unthinkable hours documenting and researching our family history through his father's line.

I found the whole thing fascinating and began doing some of my own research. I co-opted what he had amassed and built upon it, even self-publishing a family history book for what we all knew would be his final Christmas while he battled lung cancer.

Since that time, my dedication to genealogical research has ebbed and flowed with the growth of my own family, professional commitments, and other extra-curricular activities. As late, the itch has demanded to be scratched, and scratched thoroughly. I've decided to re-examine everything I've got, from the bottom up, to improve upon what has already been done, correct any errors, and, hopefully, make some new discoveries. I've begun by cross-referencing data and primary source documents to corroborate or disprove the various family trees other amateur genealogists have compiled on websites and services like ancestry.com, geni.com, and so forth.

Along the way, I've decided to track the progress, or regression in some ways. Updates, road blocks, discoveries, and more will be shared here as the journey begins anew.

It's time to dig up those roots, take a close look at them, and determine which ones are to be replanted, and which invasive species had been erroneously planted before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murdered by witchcraft

The history of colonial New England and witchcraft is certainly not limited to the infamous Salem Witch Trials. It was an area of concern st...